15 November, 2005

Cooking on the edge!

There are two alarms that keep me awake, physically and mentally.

The wake up alarm on my mobile has been my best and only loyal friend here.
Unfailing and persistent, it reminds me thrice every hour for three hours in the morning, that the new day has already started.
Yes, I am going to make it big as I am going to enlist my snooze frequency in the Guiness Book. I always cherished the Kutti Thookam bit of my morning sleep, but I am going on an overdrive these days.
Always optimistic at the end of the day that I am going to get up at 6 the next morning, and finally jumping (chumma exaggeration,, actually ambling) out of bed at 8. God only knows when I am going get out of this habit!

And the other alarm, the Smoke detector near the kitchen! It is yet to take cognizance of the fact that I am new to cooking but atleast put in my earnest best to learn the tricks of the trade.

First time, while I was “kaachifying” appalam, it went berserk, as the appalam was theenjifying merrily. Thanks to my roomie’spresence of mind, he did the first aid job, of closing the kitchen door, starting the exhaust and opening the “Kolla Kadhavu”.

But apart from that good deed, he also created total tensen, as he informed me that the detector is directly linked to the fire station and they could land up any moment. The sight of paying up A$ 850 out of my Initial Settlement advance was looming large on me!

After a tense lunch, we were confident that we escaped. Last week too, the otherwise dormant Kutti Chaathan woke up, and this time, it was really scary. Arun the macho pulled the sofa under the detector, and stood on the sofa to find that he was atleast a couple of feet short of reaching the detector!

Fortunately, the old First aid techniques I learnt were followed to the T, and the alarm stopped in ten seconds! Bravo!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Kullan,
Your blog is being spammed!. Ethavathu Pannu!.
Really liked this post- especially the last but one paragraph. Laughed out aloud trying to visualize "Arun the kuuty chaathan" on a sofa to reach the other kuuty chaathan.....
Also brought back memories of our earlier cooking adventure at your Blr house..... :-)

Ms.Iyer

Anonymous said...

Machan nalla velai sprinkler illai :D:D irundha samaikarchaye shower mudichidlaam :D:D

And eth morning alarm, u are not alone, me too same to same :)

Anonymous said...

Dai raasa, ethukku unakku intha maathiri vibareetha velayaattu?

Anonymous said...

You might want to be careful...in some places they are connected to the fire fighters alarms. Haven't you seen those ENglish movies where the heroine breaks the fire alarm when the villian is trying to rape her and soon enuff...the fire fighters come to her rescue!

Arun Sriram said...

Yes Jammy...That was the real concern the first time...and now the fire alarm is one lame excuse for not cooking very often.... :-)

AG said...

ha ha ha.. nice blog.. learning to cook eh? Appdiye inga india ku courier vazhiya konjam anupalaam lah? As u say, anyway its bad.. so konsam azhugi ponaalum the taste wont change :-D.. Blog after blog after blog.. Totally vetty in office aah??

PS..Your word verification is throwing up horribly complicated and long words.. enna pannae?

divya said...

extremely entertaining!