12 October, 2006

Reality Bytes

There is something about these reality shows that keeps me rooted to my seat, and watch it till the very end of the episode, even feeling uncomfortable to switch channels during ad breaks. Am I addicted to these shows? No. However, when I switch on the TV if there is a reality show on air, I find it tough to give it a miss….

So much so that, when I have lunch at home, and I find that the sambhar that I cooked is less spicy, my laziness prevents me to get up and get some salt or pickles, and I all I need to do is just switch on the TV and Dr Phil guarantees adequate masala to keep me quiet and supplements my bland food effectively. Not a single case where he has given a firm direction, and whats more, end of the episode, he asks his clients, who are fresh from serial domestic fights, whether they want professional advice to bring them to peace, one wonders, what he was doing consuming valuable air time.. nevertheless it is engrossing and entertaining. Lakshmi in Tamil sob show “Kadhai alla Nijam” has a long way to go if she has to reach the dizzying iconic status that Dr Phil has achieved in preaching nothing.

Dinner time, and the judges of Australian Idol, Mark Holden, Marcia Hines and Kyle Sandilands, ensure that the viewers are taken on a roller coaster ride of emotions, not seen even in a Sooraj Barjatiya movie. I am not a great fan of Firang music, so I really can’t appreciate when a singer actually sings well. But unmindful of the limitations, I enjoy this show for the melodrama despite the predictability in the character sketches of the judges.

I actually grew nervous when Aus Idol got over (I think its over J ), when I chanced on an episode of Survivor. My God.. Innovative bitching on co survivors behind one’s back is the USP of this show…extended my dinner intake because of this show!

If I go any further in this direction, I might prefer Big Brother to a Captain Flick.. May the Force be with me, and stop me from treading this unacceptable path…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a bold confession!
vin

Anonymous said...

Reality shows!!.. aha.. Very Nicely written!! well i guess in this age of tear jerking melodrama that Indian television has to offer.. most of the younger generation here is also turning to reality shows.. the TRP ratings are so high that the shows repeat their telecasts 4 times a week!.. (and we watch all the 4 repeats with same enthusiasm :P)

I guess its the innovation that is the USP in each case.. only one music reality show can survive.. the next one has to be something different.. dance.. drama.. road trips.. living with a partner .. anything but a music show

PS: lol about salt and pickles in your food.. hehe.. I hope u atleast realise its sambhar that u are having ;) :D:D:D

Lavanya said...

U must watch re-plays of American Idol if you can...Simon Cowell was like a killer on the loose