17 June, 2012

Catching up with a Serial Civil Servant


The third part of ‘Just Like Us’ features Dr Bheemashankar Guled IPS. The combination of qualifications sure sound exotic, don’t they? That is precisely the reason this dear friend of mine features in this series.
Bheema was a batch-mate of my co-brother, Sandeep and we got introduced to each other about three years back. Humility, hard work and persistence are the aspects that I think make him what he is today. By the time you finish reading this, you will certainly agree with me!

Arun: Bheema, first things first, many congratulations on being selected for the Indian Police Service. I would like to warn you that this interview may have a fan tone to it, as I am in complete awe of your achievements!
Bheema: Thank you so much Arun .It feels wonderful talking to you after such a long time. This initiative of “Just like Us” is great. Let me say that we are part of a mutual admiration society J.

Arun: Who has been the inspiration for you to take up civil services?

Bheema: There is none specific but yes it’s Govt in general. Since my first standard I have studied only in govt school and institutions without which I would be nowhere. Hence I had this urge of serving back and there is no better service than civil services to give back to the society.

Arun: Were the seeds for the civil service career sown before you took up medicine or during the course of your MBBS?

Bheema: It was more in my medical school. All my friends always encouraged me steadfastly in me taking leadership positions and supported me in all my endeavors. All this finally lead to me choosing civil services. During my internship I decided to pursue civil services.

Arun: After you completed MBBS, you took a road less travelled and didn’t pursue practice or prepare for MD. How did your family react to this?

Bheema: It is my great fortune to have a family that supported me when I chose civil service as my destiny. There were times when I had doubts in myself but my parents gave unwavering support. Even though they were worried about my future career since all my batch mates in medical school were getting settled. But nevertheless they gave all the support that was required even though they didn’t know much about civil services.

I have to share a small anecdote here. During one of those fine evenings when I decided to pursue civil services and told my friends about the same one of my close friends in his bewildered first reaction asked me “Mr Bheema did you come to medical field just to make friends or what that you are leaving such a hard earned field?” but eventually same friends were rock solid behind me and they were the ones who kept on motivating me.

Arun:Did you get into the Indian Police Service ranks in the first attempt?
Bheema: No Arun. It was my 4th attempt.

Arun: How do you pick yourself up and stay motivated when an attempt doesn’t yield the expected results?

Bheema: Two things that made this possible were self belief and the determination. Since the passing percentage is around just 0.002 % a small mistake and you will have to wait an entire year to write the exam again and undergo the whole process of selection right from the scratch.

Arun: So, I remember when you were preparing for civil services, you based yourself in Bangalore, far away from your hometown a village between Bijapur-Gulbarga. What was the reason for this?

Bheema: Even though our villages have seen growth and development it still is a shameful fact that newspapers, magazines and other books that are necessary for such exams are hardly available not just in villages but even in district headquarters. Hence, I had to move to Bangalore.

Arun: You were studying with a group of friends in Bangalore. How did the group atmosphere influence you?

Bheema: Preparing for such exams requires a congenial atmosphere and it requires variety in problem solving and decision making. It’s the group of friends that makes this possible.

Arun: You made it to the Indian Postal Service (IPoS) last year. You still didn’t seem satisfied. This year, you have made it to the IPS. Will we see Dr Bheemashankar Guled IAS next year?

Bheema: Yes Arun. That remains my ultimate dream.

Arun: How do you unwind yourself in the limited free time you have as you juggle between high level responsibilities and preparation for exams?

Bheema: It’s the comfort of friends’ company and reliving those moments of time spent together that makes me unwind myself. I am a voracious reader {Strict no to Textbooks ;-)} and I watch a lot of TV too.

Arun: Thanks Bheema for sharing your experiences of your exciting journey and all the very best in your future endeavours. I am sure you will make a positive difference to the Police Force!

Bheema: Thank you, Arun. It has been great chatting with you. Good Day.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Bheemashankar for your spectacular success.
you are the motivation for the youngsters of north karnataka region.
Wishing you all the best to achieve your ultimate goal,
hope to see you as an IAS officer in kalaburgi(gulbarga).

Nandan R said...

Dear sir,
I'm very much honoured to see Bheemashankar IPS name on our college's chief guest list for our annual fest. I'm very much eagerly waiting for your speech sir . As i am a civil service aspirant i hope i could get enough of it from you. Expecting a wonderful evening to be spent along with you sir.